This cheesy hotdish is another dish that makes a regular appearance at my family Thanksgiving. It’s super simple to make, and can be prepared in advance. Like all things broccoli-and-cheese flavored, it’s gooey, cheesy and delicious.
Although this recipe is a holiday tradition for my family, it’s also a quick and easy weeknight dinner. Just add some chicken breast and you have a main dish!
Start by melting two sticks of butter in a large pan (it seems like all holiday recipes start with this step…). Chop your onion and add it to the butter – simmer the onions for a few minutes to soften.
Add two packages of frozen broccoli cuts. Stir and cook with the lid on until the broccoli thaws and softens a bit.
While the broccoli cooks, mix 3 cups of cooked rice, two cans of cream of chicken soup and a jar of Cheez Whiz.
Pour the broccoli/onion/butter mixture into the bowl and mix. Spread into a greased pan – cover and refrigerate. (You could skip the refrigeration step and just bake this right away if you’re not making it ahead.)
Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for one hour, or until bubbly. If you bake this right away instead of refrigerating overnight, make sure you check it after about 30 minutes – it shouldn’t take the full hour to cook. Because I refrigerate it overnight, it takes longer to heat through.
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 medium onion
- 2 packages frozen broccoli cuts
- 3 cups rice, cooked
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 jar Cheez Whiz
- Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the chopped onions and cook for a few minutes until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the frozen broccoli and simmer until the broccoli thaws and softens (about 10 minutes).
- In a large bowl, mix the cooked rice, cream of chicken soup and Cheez Whiz.
- Stir in the broccoli/onion mixture and mix well.
- Pour into a greased baking dish, cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for one hour, or until bubbly.
- Note: Because this was refrigerated overnight, it needs a little more time in the oven. If you bake it right away instead of refrigerating, check it after 30 minutes.