My favorite Thanksgiving food is always the stuffing. This cranberry and sausage stuffing recipe is one we’ve made basically the same way year after year – it’s just too good to change. Tart cranberries, flavorful sausage and bread seasoned with sage and onion come together for the ultimate Thanksgiving side.
First, melt two sticks of butter in a pan with a can of chicken broth and a cup of water. Here I should mention this is a double recipe. I love to have lots of leftovers, but if you’re cooking for a smaller crowd you can cut this recipe in half.
Chop four celery stalks and one medium onion, and slice the cranberries into halves.
The celery and onion go into the pot with the melted butter, broth and water. Simmer over medium heat until the veggies are soft.
While that simmers, add the cranberries and sausage to the stuffing mix. I’m using two bags of Brownberry stuffing – sage & onion flavor. You could also chop some bread and let it dry for your stuffing if you prefer, but it’s just as delicious to use the pre-seasoned mix. Plus, it’s a lot faster!
Once the veggies have softened, pour the liquid/veggie mixture into the bread and stir it all together. Place the mixture in a greased pan (or two). I love using aluminum pans during the holidays – less time washing dishes and more time enjoying the holiday.
I could eat it just like this (and I do more than I’d like to admit…), but it’s even better baked. You can bake the stuffing right away or refrigerate overnight – this stuffing is usually prepared the night before and baked with the rest of the meal on Thanksgiving day.
On the big day, add about a cup of drippings from the turkey to the stuffing. If you’re not making this on Thanksgiving and don’t have any turkey drippings, you can just add an extra cup of chicken broth – the turkey drippings just make it extra tasty.
Cover the pan(s) with foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes. This helps the top crisp up a bit. (The crunchy bits are the best part.)
- 2 sticks butter, melted
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup cranberries, halved
- 1 lb. ground breakfast sausage, cooked
- 2 packages Brownberry stuffing, sage & onion flavor
- 1 cup turkey drippings (or chicken broth)
- Melt the butter in a pan with the chicken broth and water.
- Add the chopped celery and chopped onions to the liquid and simmer until the veggies are softened.
- In a large bowl, mix the cranberries, cooked sausage and stuffing.
- Pour the liquid and veggies over the stuffing mixture and mix well.
- Place in a greased pan, cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Before baking, drizzle with a cup of turkey drippings (or chicken broth) and re-cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees with the foil on for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes to crisp the top of the stuffing.