Sausage and Parmesan cheese wrapped in fluffy bread dough and baked until golden brown… I can’t think of a better way to start the day.
When everyone makes their way home for the holidays is always nice to have a shareable breakfast. This sausage bread is baked into a long loaf and sliced to serve – everyone can just grab a piece (or three) and dig in. It’s also good to snack on throughout the day while you’re trying not to dig into the stuffing too early.
This recipe uses frozen bread dough. I love using plain frozen dough; it’s a great base and you can add so many different combinations of flavors to make it extra delicious. To thaw the dough, place the frozen loaf in a greased loaf pan and cover with plastic wrap. (Don’t forget to spray the plastic wrap with cooking spray too or it will be a sticky mess in the morning.)
Once the bread has thawed and risen overnight, it’s ready to fill. Press the dough onto a baking sheet. This takes a little patience, as the dough is pretty springy. But try to press it into an even layer in the pan.
In a small bowl, scramble the eggs a bit with a fork and add grated Parmesan cheese to form a paste. This is about a cup to a cup-and-a-half of cheese, but add more if it seems too thin.
Spread the egg and cheese mixture down the middle of the dough. I leave about a half inch on either end so it can be sealed later.
Sprinkle the cooked, crumbled sausage over the top.
Fold the sides of the dough up and over the top. Lightly press the ends to seal. You can brush the top with butter at this point if you like – this time I skipped that step and it still turned out great.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Slice and serve!
This original version is simple and delicious, but you can also try different variations to change the flavor. Try using Italian sausage and serve with marinara sauce for dipping. Or substitute turkey sausage for a lighter version. Once you have the basic recipe down, you can experiment with all kinds of other add-ins or flavor combinations.
- 1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed overnight
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese (add more as needed)
- 1 lb browned breakfast sausage, cooked
- Press the bread dough onto a baking sheet in an even layer.
- Scramble the eggs with a fork. Add Parmesan cheese and mix into a paste.
- Spread the egg and cheese mixture down the middle of the dough.
- Sprinkle the cooked, crumbled sausage over the top.
- Fold the sides of the dough over the top and press the ends to seal.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.